English literature developed over hundreds of years, and is studied and researched by professionals each and every day. Topics such as grammar, function, poetic forms, literary components, verse meters, and syntax are but a few of the areas studied and concentrated on in education. English has grown and merged with many of the languages of England's invaders, which include the Romans, the Vikings, the Saxons, the Franks, and groups of people from the Iberian Peninsula. Due to all of these invaders, the English language is more complex and harder to define in literary terms than other European languages.
General English Help:
- A site with English information on word usage, definitions and grammatical help.
- A large list of helpful English links for the person learning English or trying to gain an edge in writing and literary knowledge.
English Teaching Resources
- The National Council of Teaching English home page.
- A general site with links to teaching resources such as composition, creative writing and general teaching strategies.
- The OWL at Purdue offers language teaching resources and lists of English organizations.
Old and Middle English Sources:
- Understanding Middle English in literary form.
- A simple guide to the language of Middle English
- An Anthology of Old English literature.
Renaissance Literature Resources:
- 16th Century background information on English literature.
- Renaissance English literature online directory of resources.
- Renaissance and the romantic period of English literature.
- A short description of the concepts and topics in Romantic English literature.
- A simple list of directories pertaining to the Victorian era of English literature.
Modern and Contemporary English Literature:
- A site providing links to resources and information on contemporary English literature.
- A collection of books and resources on modern English literature from the University of Virginia.
- Modern studies on the literature of contemporary English in America and Britain.
Colonial American Literature:
- A massive guide to authors, literature and general help with American Colonial literature.
- A reference for early and colonial American literature.
International Literature Written in English:
- Information on English literature from non-native speakers and writers of Canadian English literature.
Drama and Theatre in English Literature:
- A large list of resources on drama and theatre in English literature.
- Cambridge history of English literature with information on plays, drama and theatre.
Minority English Literature:
- A general resource for multicultural and minority literature in the English language.
- A page devoted to the promotion of minority writers in the English language.
English Literature Theory:
- A collection of English theory resources for use by students and teachers alike.
- Criticisms and Theory of English literature from the University of Toronto.
- A general resource on the theory of English literature throughout recorded history.
English literature research and study can be a daunting task without the proper resources, but the use of the internet by universities, journalistic organizations and professors provide abundant sources of quality information that is available to anyone interested in English literature. Virtually any topic can be found, ranging from teaching to specific topics such as Victorian authors who wrote plays and poems.